Posted on June 18, 2009 by Future GM
Michael Jordan used to say that he had become a brand, not a person. Michael Jordan played basketball. Air Jordan made him the greatest ever.
Well, it seems like Tiger Woods was listening.
Despite an 8 month layoff and only competing in 7 events in the last year, Tiger Woods still topped Forbes.com list of highest paid athletes. Not only does he top the list, but he blasts the competition out of the sand, earning 2.5 times the next highest earner.
Tiger missed a number of tournaments after his one-legged win last year at Torrey Pines for the U.S. Open. Knee surgery also eliminated his overseas appearance fees. Oh yeah, and Buick pulled out of their contract with Tiger a year early because of the Chrysler debacle. But because of Nike, Tiger Gatorade, and AT&T — whose logo now resides on Tiger’s bag where the Buick logo used to be — Tiger still pulled in a staggering $110 million. Oh yeah, and now he has his own golf course design business.
Tied for 2nd on the list with a paltry $45 million in income are Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and Kimi Raikkonen (highest paid Formula 1 driver). Rounding out the top 10 are Beckham ($42 million), Lebron, Phil Mickelson, Manny Pacquaio ($40 million each), motorcycle racer Valentino Rossi ($35 million), and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. ($34 million). A-Rod ranked 13th.
I think it’s safe to say Tiger has made himself into a brand.
Filed under: PGA | Leave a comment »
Posted on May 2, 2009 by homebody
great sports weekend
- We got Manny Pacquiao fighting Ricky Hatton in what is being billed as the fight of the year. However, it is only on PPV ($49.99). And people wonder why boxing sucks and nobody watches it. Name another sport that secludes itself from its viewers like this… I’m picking Hatton in the 8th by knockout.
- Also, in the NHL, Crosby and Ovechkin are going head to head in the playoffs. I’m not a hockey fan, but if I happen to come across this game on TV I will probably watch a little bit of it. I think I’m going to say Ovechkin is my favorite hockey player of all time (other than Brent Fuller) and Crosby is a whiny bitch. There are other NHL games going on, but really, who gives a shit? Ovechkin and company will win this series.
- The Kentucky Derby. The most exciting 2 minutes in sports, and a close second, The Kid having sex on his honeymoon. You gotta love the Derby. All eyes on Kentucky. I am going with the Trifecta of Friesan Fire, PioneeroftheNile, and Chocolate Candy. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Also, just saw that the favorite, I Want Revenge, has been scratched from the race.
- Major League Baseball is in full swing. We got a full slate of games on, should be fun.
- NBA playoffs have 2 game 7’s this weekend. Bulls @ Celtics and Heat @ Hawks. The Bulls/Celtics series has been sick. I’m not biggest NBA fan, but I do like watching some of the playoffs, especially when the games are like these. Also, the Mavs and Nuggets get the second round started on Sunday. I’m picking the Bulls and Hawks to move onto the second round.
- Also, the EPL (English Premier League) plays this weekend. Manchester United has already played this morning, and they beat Middlesbrough 2-0. Man U is atop the leaderboard through 34 games in the EPL.
- Tiger is trying to win a golf tournament at Quail Hollow. He is one shot behind the leaders heading into Saturday.
I’m sure there is other shit going on, but I believe I covered the most important. I’m sure there is NASCAR this weekend, College Baseball, MLS games, and NFL mini-camps. So basically there is plenty to watch/track on the Internet this weekend while it rains outside.
Filed under: MLB, NBA, NCAA, NFL, NHL, Obscure Sports, PGA, Soccer | Tagged: Boxing, Bulls, Celtics, Crosby, EPL, Hatton, Hawks, Heat, homebody, Kentucky Derby, MLS, Ovechkin, Pacquiao | Leave a comment »
Posted on April 12, 2009 by homebody
Kenny Perry choked hard today. Bogied the 17th and 18th holes, went into a 3 man playoff and got beat on the second playoff hole. Angel Cabrera won. This was the 2nd time Cabrera has won on tour and both were Majors.
Filed under: PGA | Tagged: homebody, Kenny Perry, The Masters | 2 Comments »
Posted on April 11, 2009 by homebody
As I’m sure you know the Masters is going on right now and I’m sure this will jinx him, but Kentucky’s own Kenny Perry is playing the best golf of his life. He is 11 under and is in the lead by 1 stroke. Tiger is tied for 23rd at the moment. Kenny went to WKU and his previous best finish at The Masters is T12. I’m rooting for ya Kenny.
p.s. Pretty sure he has two hot daughters, Lesslye and Lindsey. Lesslye is married and a Tennessee Titans Cheerleader. I dont know about Lindsey.
Filed under: PGA | Tagged: Augusta, Golf, homebody, Kenny Perry, The Masters, Tiger Woods | 3 Comments »